Read Proverbs 14
Ponder Verse 14
“The backslider in heart shall be filled with his own ways:”
– I fear that one of the overlooked predicaments that has arisen in recent months due to the unusual circumstances associated with the Covid-19 health issue is more spiritual in nature than we realize.
– While most of the attention has been focused on secular concerns, (Sickness – Safety – Statistic’s – and Shutdowns) in due course it has resulted in a lessening of an interest and an involvement in the sacred realm.
– If we would be transparent before the Lord, most could admit that in spite of it being unintentional, that the spiritual fire of our enthusiasm and excitement for the Lord has lost some of its intensity.
– Though painful to admit, such a condition is that which is related to backsliding.
1) The Identification of a Backslider –
– Backsliding means to relapse into bad habits, sinful behavior, or unspiritual activities.
– It can be as subtle as a leaving or a turning back from ones first love for the Lord and the things He loves.
– Obviously it involves a diminishing of ones joy and excitement for spiritual issues and spiritual responsibilities.
– It’s being “filled with our own ways” or what we think is right, in contrast to Gods way or what He says is right!
– H.A. Ironside once said: “If you were ever closer to the Lord than you are now, you’re backslidden.”
2) Consider this: The Instruction to the Backslider –
– Remember where and why we have fallen –
– Repent or return to what we left –
– Repeat the first works or that which we did previously prior to
– Backsliding begins in the heart and has to be corrected in and from the heart!
– May we sincerely desire the words to the song to be a reality in our life “Just a closer walk with thee, Let it be, dear Lord, let it be”
– Have A God Conscious Day
– Bro Gene